Description: KFS report that displays the cumulative balances for an account by object code. Represents an account's current budget. Used to quickly check the status of an account.
Access: Any KFS user can initiate an Available Balances Lookup.
KFS Module: Financial Processing.
Click a screenshot below to view the full-sized image in a new tab.
Some query fields will be populated by default. On the Available Balances query, the current fiscal year will display in the Fiscal Year field. Delete or change this input as desired.
Fiscal Year, Chart Code, and Account Number are the only required fields on this query. Limit search results by providing additional search parameters. Use the magnifying glass beside each field to search for a value if you do not know what to enter. Wildcard characters are compatible with all fields in this query except for Fiscal Year and Chart Code.
Balance inquiries allow a user to choose to view balances as consolidated or detailed. In this case, 'consolidation' refers to sub-accounts, not object codes.
- Consolidation: Display the aggregate total for all sub-accounts for the selected chart and account number. Default option.
- Detail: Display the balances for each sub-account for the selected chart and account number, in addition to the balances for the top-level account that are not associated with a sub-account.
- Exclude Sub-Accounts: Display only the balances for the top-level account for the selected chart and account number, omitting any activity associated with sub-accounts.
Include Pending Ledger Entry
Balance inquiries allow a user to choose to include or exclude pending ledger entries. Pending ledger entries are transactions from documents that have been approved or submitted for approval, but have not yet posted to the General Ledger.
- No: Only return data from documents that reached Final status the previous day; data in this report is one day old. Default option.
- Approved: Include data from documents that reached Final status sometime today. These transactions have been approved and will post to the General Ledger overnight.
- All: Include data from all documents associated with this account, regardless of their status: Saved, Cancelled, En Route status, or Final. Selecting this option can generate misleading results. Saved documents may contain incomplete or unbalanced accounting entries. Additionally, submitted documents may not reach Final status. Use this option with the understanding that saved and unapproved transactions may change drastically prior to posting to the General Ledger, or may never post at all.
- Actual Amount: The total of all actual activity for a given balance line of the selected fiscal year. Only transactions that have posted to the General Ledger are included in the Actuals calculation.
- Budget Amount: The current budget amount in an account for the selected fiscal year.
- Encumbrances Amount: The total of all encumbrance activity for a given account for the selected fiscal year.
- Variance: The funds remaining for the rest of the fiscal year. Income variance is the amount a unit expects to earn; expense variance is the amount a unit has left to spend.The difference between a category or object code's available budget and the actual amounts, plus encumbrances.
Note that, by clicking on a Budget, Actual, or Encumbrance Amount, the following drill-down sequence is possible:
- General Ledger Balance Lookup
- General Ledger Entry Lookup
- Open a KFS document or Labor Ledger Entry
By selecting Detail from the Consolidation Option choices, we see a breakdown by sub-account. In the screenshot below, for example, we see that what was listed as a $119.28 expenditure under object code 4021 was actually a $17.28 expense on the APMOV sub-account and a $102.00 expense on the top-level account.
By selecting Exclude Sub-Accounts from the Consolidation Options choices, we see only activity from the top-level account. In the screenshot below, for example, we see the $102.00 expense under object code 4021 associated with the top-level account, but do not see the $17.28 expense associated with the APMOV sub-account.